This is what we'll cover in this article:
- Getting Started
- Let SmartScan do the work for you!
- Email receipts to email@example.com
- Direct Upload from web
- The receipt is in. What's next?
We have a few different ways for how receipts can be uploaded to Expensify.
- By far the easiest, is SmartScan with your iPhone or Android device. Snap a picture, and forget about it!
- Forward email receipts directly into Expensify to firstname.lastname@example.org for SmartScanning - this is great for email receipts you receive from airlines and electronic receipts.
- The final way is to directly upload receipts through the Expenses page or by dragging and dropping the receipt file into Expensify.
Let SmartScan do the work for you!
Nobody likes typing or waiting for scans to finish; just snap it and forget it! It'll be auto-reported upon completion and auto-submitted that same night if your policy has Scheduled Submit enabled. Just scan your receipts immediately after making the purchase, and let us take care of them for you!
Read more about SmartScan if you fancy.
SmartScan with your Android or iOs Device
To take a SmartScan photo with your mobile app, tap the green camera button, point and shoot!
You can manually enter a transaction, create a time, distance, or per diem expense by tapping the + at the top right of the Expenses page and selecting the desired option. Please note, the available expense formats are dependent on the formats enabled in your policy settings.
Email Receipts to Expensify
All receipts that are in your email, such as airline, rental car or hotel confirmations etc. can be forwarded to email@example.com. From here, they will be SmartScanned and an expense will be created for you!
All of the receipt images will be processed and added to your account via SmartScan.
How do I create an expense from an email receipt in my own Expensify account?
- Directly forward that email to firstname.lastname@example.org to your Expensify email address.
- Find it on the Expenses page, either listed under the date of the receipt (if the SmartScan has completed), or under the date that you forwarded the receipt (if the SmartScan has not completed extracting information from the receipt yet).
How do I create an expense from an email receipt in my own Expensify account, but forwarding from a different email address than my current Expensify login?
- You'll want to add that email as a secondary login to your account so that we can recognize that receipts from either of these email addresses should go straight to your own account.
- Follow the normal steps above once this is set up and forward these to email@example.com.
How do I create an expense from an email in a receipt on behalf of someone you I Copilot for?
- Simply put their email address (and only their email address) in the subject of the email so that we know to apply it to that person's account. Forward to firstname.lastname@example.org and this should appear in their Expenses list.
I forwarded a receipt that was also a flight itinerary/hotel stay/car booking. Where do I find my trip information?
- This expense will still be found on the Expenses list.
- As long as we were able to SmartScan this as a receipt with a date and amount (and not just an itinerary with no receipt information) you can find your trip details in the Trip section of your mobile app!
These are the specific types of files you can send:
- Picture attachments - Send in pictures of receipts as a GIF, JPG, PNG, or PDF and we’ll add them to your list of unattached receipts
- Text/HTML email - Send in text email, TXT or HTML receipts (such as airline e-ticket itineraries or rental car contracts) and we’ll convert them into images that work just like all other receipts.
- Documents - Send in Microsoft Word, RTF, or PDF documents to convert them to receipt images.
I don't see the receipt that I forwarded via email to my account.
- Double-check that you did not send the receipt to email@example.com.Sometimes, email clients' contacts save our "Receipt Forwarder" email as this email address instead, which will not get your receipt to the correct place!
- It's possible that the receipt is in the account, but you are having trouble locating it. Try opening up the various date filters on the Expenses page to reflect the correct date. If the SmartScan failed or has not completed, the receipt will be located under the date it was forwarded. If the SmartScan has completed, you can find it under the purchase date of the receipt. Always check your Deleted folder too!
- Check to make sure that the email receipt was a valid file format. Accepted file types can be found in the section directly above this Troubleshooting section.
I don't see the receipt that I forwarded via email to my Copilot's account.
- First, check the troubleshooting steps above, which should apply to any emails you forward.
- Double-check that you do do have access as a Copilot to this person's account. Click the user icon in the upper left hand corner of your screen > Account Settings > scroll down to Copilot: Delegated Access to check for any and all users you can Copilot for.
- Make sure that you are sending the receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org and you have only the email address of the person's account in the subject line (with no other text.
Direct Upload from web
To directly upload a receipt from your computer:
- Click "New Expense" on the Expenses page.
- Select "Expense" > "Receipt" > choose the file you would like to upload.
3. You can also drag and drop the receipt file into your account.
The receipt is in, what's next?
Your receipt has been added to Expensify and entered as an expense either by SmartScan or manually. The next step is to add this expense to a report and submit it to your manager, if Scheduled Submit is not already taking care of this for you!