When you have a report ready for approval, you will receive an email to notify you that it's ready. Your Inbox will be where you want to check for reports needing action, and reports submitted to you will be kept on your Reports page as well.
Open the submitted report from the link in your email or from the Inbox to get started with approving, rejecting, or editing expenses on these reports. Guided review will walk you through each one!
Is there anything better than not having to guess what's wrong with a report? Meet Guided Review. This is your one stop shop for report information. You'll be guided through all report violations and warnings and given the option to Reject, Edit, or skip over all items that need review prior to approving a report.
Guided Review helps approvers quickly identify reports that need more attention so they can pass over reports that can be quickly approved. Both Submitters and Approvers have actionable notifications for the following: violations, warnings, and notices. These notifications are important since they will be included in “review mode” for the approver to make clear approve or reject decisions.
Let's walk through this, shall we?
Via the Website:
1. Simply click Begin Review and the system will begin to walk you through the entire report.
2. Choose to Reject, Edit, or skip over an item needing review. If you wish to stop the process at any time, click the X in the progress bar.
- Reject: This will remove the expense from the report and send it back to the submitter. An email will be sent to the submitter explaining this expense has been rejected.
- Edit: This will allow you to open the expense so you can view and fix any incorrect data.
- Next: This will allow you to skip over the current item and move forward to review the rest of the report.
3. Click the Finish button if you are done reviewing, or reject/edit the last item to finish the review process.
4. Approve the report! Approve and Forward the report if there is another person that needs to review the report in your approval workflow, or you can Final Approve if you are the final approver.
Via the Mobile App:
- From your Inbox, under Reports that need your attention, click Begin Review, and the system will bring you to the first expense on the oldest report in your Inbox.
2. Edit the expense: Make any necessary edits to the expense by tapping the corresponding field. Be sure to address any Violations and Notes on the expense! Notes are indicated at the top of the expense with a yellow exclamation point, while violations appear on the expense with a red exclamation point:
3. Choose Reject or Accept at the top of the expense.
- Reject: This will remove the expense from the report and send it back to the submitter. An email will be sent to the submitter explaining this expense has been rejected. If this is the only expense on the report, you will be prompted to reject the report.
- Accept: This will move to the next expense on the report, leaving behind any outstanding violations or notes. If this is the last expense on the report, you'll be prompted to Final Review.
4. Final Review: Once you've made it through all of the expenses on the report, choose Edit to access report-level items like the Report Name or Report Fields. Otherwise, you can choose to Approve or Reject the report.
Report states help you understand the status of your report, the permissions each user has, and which actions are permitted at any given moment. Here’s an overview of the different report states you may encounter in Expensify:
- Open: A report that has just been created and never submitted. The report creator has full control to edit the report, and policy admins for the report's policy can view and submit the report.
- Open (retracted): A report that was submitted but later retracted by the report creator. In an Open (retracted) state, the report creator can edit the report and still re-submit.
- Open (rejected): A report that was submitted and then rejected by the report approver. Reports in this state can be edited by the report creator before re-submission.
- Processing: A report that has been submitted, and is moving through an approval chain. The report creator has read access to the report, and can retract it before approval for further editing. Approvers can edit the report title or expense details, as well as reject or approve the report.
- Closed: A report that someone submits and approves without anyone else seeing. Closed reports can be opened for further editing.
- Approved: A report that has been submitted, processed and final approved. The report can then be reimbursed by the approver, or shared with an accountant. Should the report require further editing, it can be unapproved.
- Approved (reimbursement pending): A report that has been reimbursed through ACH or PayPal, with the reimbursement in pending status waiting for a deposit ACH or PayPal account to be added to complete the reimbursement.
- Reimbursed: A report that has been submitted, final approved, and marked as manually reimbursed. The report creator can then confirm that the reimbursement has been received outside of Expensify.
- Reimbursed (withdrawing): A report that has been reimbursed through ACH or PayPal, with the reimbursement in transit or pending bank approval.
- Reimbursed (confirmed): A report that has been reimbursed through ACH or PayPal, with the reimbursement confirmed to have reached its destination. This status may also appear when the report creator has received a manual reimbursement (such as a check) and the approver has marked the report as reimbursed (with the report creator confirming receipt of the reimbursement).
Reject a Report
As an approver, you might need to reject a report as a whole or reject an expense on a report.
Rejecting a report will return the report back to the submitter in an Open status or, in the case of a multi-level approval workflow, back to the previous approver in a Processing status (awaiting their approval). You may need to do this if the submitter was not ready to submit the report, or perhaps the report as a whole needs to be rejected based on the configuration of your organization's expense policy.
To reject the report, click Reject rather than beginning the Review process. If there are multiple approvers involved, you can choose how far back to reject the report.
Unapprove a Report
Click approve too fast? No worries. You can click Unapprove that the top of the report to undo this action:
Rejecting or editing individual expenses on a report can be done in two ways:
- By going through the Guided Review process described above. This will only take you through expenses with violations or notes. In this case, you can reject each one through the review process.
- If you need to reject or edit an expense that does not have a violation or note, you can click into the line item expense, Either make any edits and Save, or you can write a comment and Reject the expense here.
Take Control of a Report
If you are waiting on someone else to approve or reimburse a report, but that person is unavailable, the policy admin or owner can click Take Control so that they can approve or reimburse the report. This can be done for any submitted report, and can only be done by a policy admin.