Would you like to import your bank account or credit card directly into Expensify, or upload a CSV of your transactions? We make it easy!
If you experience any trouble, check our Troubleshooting and FAQ page.
This article covers:
- Importing Expenses Directly From your Credit Card or Bank
- Importing Expenses From a Spreadsheet or OFX File
Importing Expenses Directly From your Credit Card or Bank
Step 1: Select your Bank
First click the blue square graphic in the upper right corner. Next click Account Settings in the dropdown and then Credit Card Import on the left side of the screen. Click the "Import Card/Bank" button.
If your bank is not listed, just use the search box below to find it.
Step 2: Username and Password
Connect with your account by using the same username and password you use for online banking.
Step 3: Select your Accounts
We will pull in all of the accounts tied to your username. Just pick and choose the ones that you want to import!
Note: If you are importing a corporate credit card or a card that someone else pays off, make sure to uncheck the box for 'The expenses on these cards are reimbursable' when importing the card. Then click ‘accept terms and add' to import your card.
- Most transactions under $75 are also eligible for automatically generated eReceipts (US banks only)
- When first importing your card, Expensify will bring in as many historical expenses as your bank will send to us; this may be as few as 7 days or as many as 90 days, depending on the bank. If you need to pull transactions earlier than this date, please upload a spreadsheet of your bank transactions to reflect these (see 'Importing Transactions from a Spreadsheet or OFX File' below).
- If a card is deleted from Expensify, all of the unsubmitted expenses from that card will be deleted from the system.
Importing Expenses From a Spreadsheet or OFX File
You can import ANY bank into Expensify using a spreadsheet or OFX file! To do that just follow these few steps below. (Not available through our domain control feature.)
Step 1: Download CSV
First download an OFX file or a CSV/XLS spreadsheet of your expenses directly from your online banking account. Once you have this file:
- Click the blue square graphic in the upper right corner, Account Settings, then from the Account Setting menu, select "Credit Card Import." Click Import Transactions from CSV. On the next screen, select "Upload".
Step 2: Set the Account Details
Define the details of this upload so you can easily identify its contents. Set the date format and currency to match your needs. If you have previously imported a spreadsheet, choose your preset mapping and everything will be filled in.
Then scroll down and pick which columns have the merchant, date and amount in them. These are the 3 required presets that must be assigned prior to uploading.
Check the preview of your selection below and when it looks good, click ‘Add Expenses’.
When the upload finishes, click ‘Add Expense’ to close the dialog and view your expenses. You should then see these all import into your Expenses list.