This article covers:
- Is the bank/credit card import option for me?
- Important notes before you get started
- Importing expenses directly from your credit card or bank (in the web browser)
- Importing expenses directly from your credit card or bank (in the mobile app)
- Managing your card/bank imports
- Next steps
Run into trouble?
Is the bank/credit card import option for me?
- Yes, if you need to directly import your personal card/bank transactions into your Expensify account to match with your receipts.
- If you have a company-assigned corporate card, you will want to check with an Expensify admin at your company regarding how these cards should be used. Often, admins will need to assign it to you through their account in the form of a company card. In this case, you would not import it in your Account Settings, though you will be able to view the card here.
Importing your card/bank via Account Settings will:
- Allow your bank/card transactions to flow into your Expensify account. These will merge with any SmartScanned expenses in the account.
- Generate IRS-compliant eReceipts, in the case you may not have a receipt for a transaction. For US banks only.
Important notes before you get started
- When first importing your card, Expensify will bring in as many historical expenses as your bank will send to us; this may be as few as 7 days or as many as 90 days, depending on the bank. If you need to pull transactions earlier than this date, please upload a spreadsheet of your bank transactions to reflect these.
- If a card is deleted from Expensify, all of the unsubmitted expenses from that card will be deleted from the system. Any imported card transactions within a processing, approved, closed, or reimbursed report will not be affected!
Importing Expenses Directly From your Credit Card or Bank (in the web browser)
Step 1: Select your Bank
First, click the user icon in the upper left-hand corner. Next, click Account Settings in the dropdown and then Credit Card Import on the left side of the screen. Click the "Import Card/Bank" button.
If your bank is not listed, just use the search box below to find it.
Step 2: Username and Password
Connect with your account by using the same username and password you use for online banking.
Step 3: Select your Accounts
We will pull in all of the accounts tied to your username. Just pick and choose the ones that you want to import!
Note: If you are importing a corporate credit card or a card that someone else pays off, make sure to uncheck the box for 'The expenses on these cards are reimbursable' when importing the card. Then click ‘accept terms and add' to import your card.
Once your card(s) has been successfully imported, you can then click on the update tab next to the importing card(s) to pull the latest transactions into your account!
Importing Expenses Directly From your Credit Card or Bank (in the mobile app)
In your Account Settings, tap Import a card and follow the directions (similar to how this is listed above) for your bank to start importing transactions!
Managing your card/bank imports
In Account Settings, you will be able to view all importing cards/banks (or CSV imported transactions) associated within your own account.
- Personal cards that were directly imported by you (or a Copilot) via your Account Settings are identified by a card icon, and the words "Personal Card"
- Company-administered cards can be viewed (but not managed!) here, and are identified by the lock and card icon and the words "Company Card" in the title bar. Reach out to your admin for questions on these!
- If you'd like to change the name of how your imported card appears, click Settings.
- Here, you will be able to rename the account as well as decide whether these transactions should be reimbursable by default. How do I know if my expenses are reimbursable or non-reimbursable?
- Reimbursable expenses are expenses that are owed back to you by the person/company you are submitting them to. If this is a personal card you have incurred spend on, this is likely the case.
- Non-reimbursable expenses are expenses that are not owed back to you. This is likely on a company card (or any card that someone else pays the balance for), but one that you incur spend on and must track the expenses for.
Remove a card:
- If you need to remove a card, you can select the red trash can icon. Please remember this will remove all unreported and unsubmitted transactions from your account that are tied to this card, so be careful!
- Note that company-administered company cards can only be removed in the Domain Admin account, and not by the individual employee.
- Also, note that if you have a Company Card, you will not be able to change the name of the card.
- You're ready to SmartScan your receipts so that they merge with imported card/bank transactions
- Set up Scheduled Submit so that reports are created and/or submitted for you by Concierge!
- If you are having trouble importing a card or bank, review our Troubleshooting and FAQ guide and review our list of known bank-specific issues here.
- If you'd like to instead import a CSV spreadsheet of transactions for any reason, the how-to guide can be found here.