Covered in this article:
- What is a Copilot and what are the different types?
- Adding a Copilot
- Switching to Copilot mode (on the web)
- Switching to Copilot mode (using the mobile app)
- Emailing receipts to a Copilot account
- How to remove a Copilot
- Troubleshooting and FAQ
What is a Copilot and what are the different types?
Copilot is a role that can be granted to any user whether or not they are on the policy or on the domain. Enable Copilot in Account Settings > Account > Copilot: Delegated Access.
There are two Copilot roles to choose from:
- Full Access Copilot - Your Copilot will have full access to your account. Every action you can do and everything you can see in your account will also be available to your Copilot.
- Submit Only Copilot - Your Copilot will be able to take every action that you can take, but will not be able to approve reports on your behalf.
The Copilot feature allows you to give someone else delegated access to your account. From their own Expensify account, they will be able to access your account and take actions like adding expenses and creating, submitting and approving reports on your behalf (depending on the permissions you allow).
Going on vacation and need a colleague to approve reports on your behalf, but don’t want to grant them full access? Add a Vacation Delegate instead!
Adding a Copilot
To add a Copilot:
- Log into Expensify.com (you cannot set this up on the mobile app at this time).
- Click the User Icon in the upper left-hand corner of your screen, then click Account Settings.
- Scroll down to the Copilot: Delegated Access section of the settings
- Enter the email address of your Copilot and select whether you want to give them Full Access (with the ability to approve reports on your behalf) or the ability to Submit Only (an no ability to approve reports).
- Click Invite Copilot.
6. If your Copilot already has an Expensify account, they will get an email notifying them that they can now access your account from within their account as well.
7. If they do not already have an Expensify account, they will be provided with a link to create one. Once they have created their Expensify account, they will be able to access your account from within their account as well.
Switching Between Accounts as a Copilot: Web
To access another account as a Copilot:
- Click the User Icon in the upper left-hand side of the page.
- In the “Copilot Access” section of the dropdown, choose the account you wish to access.
When you Copilot into someone else’s account, the Expensify header will change color and an airplane icon will appear. You can return to your own account at any time by accessing the user menu and choosing Return to your account.
Switching Between Accounts as a Copilot: Mobile App
To access another account as a Copilot:
- Tap on the settings icon in the top left-hand side of the screen.
- In the “Copilot Access” screen, choose the account you wish to access.
When you Copilot into someone else’s account, the Expensify header will change color, and the settings cog will display an airplane icon.
You can return to your own account at any time by accessing the settings cog and clicking Return to your account.
Email Receipts as a Copilot
To email receipts as a Copilot:
- Forward any email receipt to email@example.com with only the email address of the user whose account you want the receipts to go to in the subject line.
- As long as you are a Copilot for this user, the receipts will be placed in their account and can be found on the Expenses page.
How to Remove a Copilot
To remove a Copilot log into your web account,
- Navigate to Account Settings > Account
- Click the red X next to the Copilot who's access you'd like to remove from your account
Troubleshooting and FAQ
Is a Copilot a billed "active" user?
A Copilot account alone will not be billed if there is no activity taking place on any reports, but the Copilot will be billed if they take action on a report. We bill the billing owner based on activity, and any report action would make this Copilot a billable actor.
My email receipt didn't show up in the intended user account! Why?
If you are forwarding a receipt from your own account and need it to appear in the Copilot account:
- Double-check that you do do have access as a Copilot to this person's account using the steps above.
- Make sure that you are sending the receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org and you have only the email address of the person's account in the subject line (with no other text.
- Double-check that you did not send the receipt to email@example.com. Sometimes, email clients' contacts save our "Receipt Forwarder" email as this email address instead, which will not get your receipt to the correct place!
- It's possible that the receipt is in the account, but you are having trouble locating it. Try opening up the various date filters on the Expenses page to reflect the correct date. If the SmartScan failed or has not completed, the receipt will be located under the date it was forwarded. If the SmartScan has completed, you can find it under the purchase date of the receipt. Always check your Deleted folder too!
Is there a limit to how many Copilots can be added to an account, or a limit to how many user accounts I can access as a Copilot?
Nope! There is no limit for either of these scenarios. Copilot away to your heart's desire.
I'm in Copilot mode for an account. Can I add another Copilot to that account on behalf of the account holder?
No--only the original account holder can add another Copilot to the account, since this is giving explicit permission for the access.
I'm a Copilot of an admin. Can I add a withdrawal account for them?
Yes, you can set up a withdrawal account if you are designated as a full access Copilot.