For this setup guide, we're going to walk you through how to get your connection up and running as Expense Reports with role-based permissions.
Checklist of items to complete:
- Create web services user and setup permissions
- Enable Time & Expenses module
- Set up Employees in Sage Intacct
- Set up Expense Types in Sage Intacct
- Enable Customization Services (only applicable if you don't already use Platform Services)
- Create test policy and download Expensify Package
- Upload the Package in Sage Intacct
- Enter credentials and connect Expensify and Sage Intacct
- Configure integration sync options
- Export a test report
- Connect Sage Intacct to production policy
Step 1: Create a web services user with role-based permissions
- In Sage Intacct > Company > click on orange "+" button next to Roles
- Name the role > Save
- Go to Roles > Subscriptions for the "Expensify" role you just created
- Set the permissions for this role by clicking the checkbox and then clicking on the Permissions hyperlink
These are the permissions this role needs to have when exporting reimbursable expenses as Expense Reports:
- Administration (All)
- Company (Read-only)
- Cash Management (All)
- Time & Expense (All)
- General Ledger (All)
- Projects (Read-only) (only required if you're going to be using Projects and Customers)
- Accounts Payable (All) (only required if you will be exporting non-reimbursable expenses as vendor bills)
Now, you'll need to create a web services user and assign this role to that user.
- Company > click on orange "+" button next to Users
Set up the user like the screenshot below, making sure to do the following:
- User ID: “xmlgateway_expensify"
- Last name and First name: "Expensify"
- Email address: your shared accounting team email
- User type: "Business"
- Admin privileges: "Full"
- Status: "Active"
- Web services only: this box should be checked
- To assign the role, go to Roles Information
- Click on the plus > find the "Expensify" role > Save
Step 2: Enable the Time & Expenses module
The T&E module often comes standard on your Sage Intacct instance, but you may need to enable it if it was not a part of your initial Sage Intacct implementation. Enabling the T&E module is free of charge if you follow the directions below. It's required for our integration and takes just a few minutes to configure.
- In Sage Intacct, click on the Company menu > Subscriptions > "Time & Expenses"
- If you haven't yet subscribed to Time & Expenses, it will appear under "Applications available for subscription" and you just need to click on Time & Expenses and hit "Subscribe".
Once you've enable T&E, you'll need to configure it properly:
- Ensure that "Expense types" is checked:
- Under Auto-numbering sequences, please set the following:
- To create the EXP sequence, click on the down arrow on the expense report line > Add
- Sequence ID: EXP
- Print Title: EXPENSE REPORT
- Starting Number: 1
- Next Number: 2
Once you've done this, select "Advanced Settings"
- Fixed Number Length: 4
- Fixed Prefix: EXP
- Once you've done this, hit "Save"
- Under Expense Report approval settings, make sure the "Enable expense report approval" is unchecked
- Click Save!
Step 3: Set up Employees in Sage Intacct
In order to set up Employees, go to Time & Expenses > click the plus next to Employees. If you don't see Time & Expense in the top ribbon, you may need to adjust your settings by going to Company > Roles > Time & Expenses > Enable all permissions. To create an employee, you'll need to insert the following information:
- Employee ID
- Primary contact name
- Email address (click the dropdown arrow in the Primary contact name field) > select the employee if they've already been created. Otherwise click "+ Add" > fill in their Primary Email Address along with any other information you require.
To use a template to bulk upload employees, go to Company > Company Setup Checklist > select Template on the Employees line. Then, fill out the fields that say "Required: Yes" (make sure to include the employee email address in the "Email 1" column -- this is required for the integration). Note: Unfortunately bulk CSV upload can only be used to set up a new employee record, not to update an existing record.
Then, once you're ready to upload the file, go to Import and select the file that you just filled out.
Step 4: Set up Expense Types in Sage Intacct
Expense Types are a user-friendly way of displaying the names of your expense accounts to your employees. They are required for our integration. In order to set up Expense Types, you'll first need to setup your Chart of Accounts (these can be set up in bulk by going to Company > Open Setup > Company Setup Checklist > click Import).
Once you've setup your Chart of Accounts, to set Expense Types, go to Time & Expense > Open Setup > click the plus button next to Expense Types. For each Expense Type, you'll need to include the following information:
- Expense Type
- Account Number (from your GL)
Step 5: Enable Customization Services (only applicable if you don't already use Platform Services)
To enable, go Company > Subscriptions > Customization Services (if you already have Platform Services enabled, you will skip this step).
Step 6: Create a test policy in Expensify and download Expensify package
The test policy will be used as a sandbox environment where we can test before going live with the integration. If you're already using Expensify, creating a test policy will ensure that your existing company policy rules, approval workflow, etc remain intact. In order to set this up:
- Go to expensify.com > Admin > New Policy
- Name the policy something like "Sage Intacct Test Policy"
- Go to Connections > Sage Intacct > Connect to Sage Intacct
- Select Create a new Sage Intacct connection
- Select Download Package (All you need to do is download the file. We'll upload it from your Downloads folder later.)
Step 7: Upload Package in Sage Intacct
If you use Customization Services:
- Customization Services > Packages > New Package > Choose File > select the Package file from your downloads folder > Import
If you use Platform Services:
- Platform Services > Packages > New Package > Choose File > select the Package file from your downloads folder > Import
Step 8: Enter credentials and connect Expensify and Sage Intacct
Now, go back to Expensify > Admin > [Policy Name] > Connections > Configure > Connect to Sage Intacct enter the credentials that you've set for your web services user. Click Send once you're done.
Step 9: Configure integration sync options
Once you successfully connect, you'll be prompted to configure the Sage Intacct integration settings.
By default, we enable Departments, Locations and Classes for the employee's Sage Intacct employee default, but you can feel free to configure this section as you like.
Step 10: Export a test report
We suggest that you create an export a couple of test reports prior to going live with the integration. If you run into any errors in this process, check out our troubleshooting guide and if you're still having trouble, reach out to us via the messenger icon at the bottom right hand corner of the site.
Step 11: Connect Sage Intacct to production policy
After you've successfully exported a test report, you are ready to go live with the integration! If you're currently using Expensify in a different policy, you'll do steps 8 and 9 again to connect Sage Intacct to that policy.
Still looking for answers? Search our Community for more content on this topic!