Expensify's direct integration with Zenefits allows you to seamlessly import and update existing employees and approval workflows from Zenefits into Expensify.
When you integrate Zenefits with Expensify, we will:
- Provision new employees automatically — We'll create Expensify accounts for all your full-time, active employees as soon as they're hired.
- Update approval workflows instantly by importing and updating each user's direct manager. Don't worry about keeping track if a manager switches teams or an employee is promoted; we'll update it for you automatically!
- Deprovision employees automatically on their termination date — There's enough paperwork to take care of when an employee leaves the company, you shouldn't have to worry about updating Expensify as well.
In a nutshell, this HR integration automates the process to create and update employee records and approval workflows in Expensify based on changes to Zenefits employee records.
Integrate with Zenefits
How does it work? Simply connect to your Zenefits account, and Expensify will be updated to reflect any changes made in Zenefits. The integration takes minutes to set up, is ready out-of-the-box, and will save your HR team hours each month!
- You'll need to be an admin in Zenefits and in Expensify to complete the prerequisites on this page.
- You must have a Corporate policy in Expensify to integrate with Zenefits. If you do not, you'll be given the opportunity to upgrade to Corporate during the integration setup.
- Every employee record in Zenefits must have a work email address since we use this as the unique identifier in Expensify.
- Zenefits will add all your employees to one Expensify policy. If your company uses multiple Expensify policies, you'll be given the option to choose which policy to connect to when you're setting up the integration.
Step 1: Connect Expensify and Zenefits
- Navigate to Admin > [Policy Name] > Connections > scroll down to HR Integrations > Zenefits
- Select the Connect to Zenefits radio button and click Sync with Zenefits:
- Login to your Zenefits account using admin credentials and authorize Expensify to access your Zenefits account.
- If you want to exclude an individual user from syncing with Expensify, make your selections before clicking Authorize
Step 2: Configure the Connection and Save!
- Select one of three Approval Workflow options that works best for your team.
- Remember to click Save in the bottom right corner when you're finished to sync employees!
Basic Approval - Each employee will submit expense reports to one final approver. By default, the final approver is the policy's Billing Owner.
Manager Approval - Expense reports will first be submitted to each employee's direct manager, and then forwarded to one final approver. By default, the final approver is the policy's Billing Owner.
Configure Manually - Use the people table to manually configure how employees submit reports. In this case, you're choosing to not import an employee's manager. You will need to set and update the approval workflow for each employee manually. If your team has a highly complex approval workflow, this option will allow for multi-tiered approval chains. For more information regarding the Expensify People table, read more here.
Note: If you're setting up an Expensify policy as an admin for the very first time and have initiated the connection from within your Zenefits account, you will be setup with a free trial of our Corporate policy 🎉 We'll walk you through that in the integration setup, and you can read more about the basics of Expensify for Admins here!
All set! - What's next?
Fantastic! 🎉 Now we'll import any new employees from Zenefits into Expensify, keep track of their approval workflow and remove them when the time comes!
After you've successfully connected, you will be able to see a time-stamp on the Connections page that shows when the last sync was. Click Admin > [Policy Name] > Connections > scroll down to Zenefits:
View all the newly imported users on your policy, or update your Approval Mode at the bottom of the page, by clicking Admin > [Policy Name] > People:
What about my employees?
Each employee will receive a welcome email at their work email address along with a request to validate their account and choose a password. They can also download our mobile app for iOS and Android devices.
Having trouble? - Every Expensify user is always welcome to reach out to our Success team using the in-app messenger or by emailing us at email@example.com. 😎