How does it work?
Simply connect to your Gusto account, and Expensify will be updated to reflect any changes made in Gusto. The integration takes minutes to set up, is ready out-of-the-box, and will save your HR team hours each month!
Expensify's direct integration with Gusto will automatically:
- Provision Expensify accounts for all full-time, active employees as soon as they're hired.
- Update the approval workflow in Expensify based on any changes in Gusto.
- Deprovision employees’ Expensify accounts upon their termination date.
- You'll need to be an admin in both Gusto and in Expensify to set up the integration.
- You must have a Corporate policy in Expensify to integrate with Gusto. If you aren’t already on a Corporate policy then no worries, you'll have the opportunity to upgrade during setup.
- Every employee record in Gusto must have a email address, since that’s how each employee will sign into Expensify.
- Gusto will add all employees to one Expensify policy. If your company uses multiple Expensify policies, you'll have the option to choose which policy to connect during the setup process.
Step 1: Connect Expensify and Gusto
You can set up a connection by clicking here and choosing the policy you would like to connect, or by following these steps:
- Navigate to Admin > [Policy Name] > Connections > scroll down to HR Integrations > Gusto
- Select the Connect to Gusto radio button and click Connect with Gusto
- Login to your Gusto account using admin credentials and authorize Expensify to access your Gusto account
Step 2: Configure the Connection and Save!
- Select the Approval Workflow that works best for your team
- Remember to click Save in the bottom right corner when you're finished to sync employees
Basic Approval - Each employee will submit expense reports to one final approver. By default, the final approver is the policy's Billing Owner in Expensify.
Manager Approval - Expense reports will first be submitted to each employee's direct manager as listed in Gusto, and then forwarded to one final approver. By default, the final approver is the policy's Billing Owner in Expensify.
Configure Manually - Use the People table to manually configure how employees submit reports. In this case, you're choosing to not import an employee's manager. You will need to manually set and update the approval workflow for each employee. If your team has a highly complex approval workflow, this option will allow for multi-tiered approval chains. For more information on Advanced Approval, take a look at this help doc.
Note: If you're new to Expensify, your setup will include a free Corporate policy trial with the option to purchase a plan at any point. We'll walk you through setting up your account and the Gusto integration, and you can always check out the Expensify for Admins guide for a great overview of managing your account!!
Step 3: What about my employees?
Each employee will receive a welcome email at their email address along with a request to validate their account and choose a password. They can also download our mobile app for iOS and Android devices.
All set! - What's next?
Fantastic! 🎉 Now we'll import any new employees from Gusto into Expensify, keep track of their approval workflow, and remove them when the time comes!
After you've successfully connected Expensify and Gusto, you can sync or reconfigure your connection from the Connections page. Here, you will also see a time-stamp that shows the time of the last sync. Click Admin > [Policy Name] > Connections > scroll down to Gusto
View all of the newly imported users on your policy or update your Approval Mode by navigating to Admin > [Policy Name] > People
Your policy will automatically sync with Gusto every night to import new, update existing, and remove terminated employees. If you need to update your policy before the nightly sync, you can initiate a sync from Admin > [Policy Name] > Connections > Gusto > Sync Now.