Topics covered in this article:
- Trouble connecting to NetSuite/Connecting to the wrong NetSuite instance.
- Switching Ownership of a NetSuite Connection
- Change the Default Payable Account for Reimbursable Expenses
- Exporting Negative Expenses
- Company Card Expenses Exporting to the Wrong Account
- Reports Exporting as 'Accounting Approved' Instead of 'Paid in Full'
- Reports Exporing as 'Pending Approval'
- Not Pulling in All Customers
- Not Pulling in Categories
- Why Can't I Export Without a Category Selected?
- Where Can I Find My Expenses?
- Downloading NetSuite logs to assist with troubleshooting
Trouble connecting to NetSuite/Connecting to the wrong NetSuite instance
If you keep seeing errors regarding your NetSuite credentials or if you are trying to connect to production and it keeps sending you to the sandbox, check out this video for steps on how to get connected.
Switching Ownership of a NetSuite Connection
When a user who "owns" the NetSuite connection (in the screenshot below, the owner is email@example.com) leaves your company, please follow these steps to switch to a new user:
1. Click Configure and make sure that you have saved your sync option settings somewhere for you to reference later on. This is really important!
2. Click on the Do not connect to NetSuite radio button. You will be asked if you want to disconnect; click Disconnect.
3. Click the Connect to Netsuite radio button.
4. Enter the email for the admin who will be taking over the account as the NetSuite User ID. Enter the NetSuite Account ID (which you get in NetSuite by going to Setup > Integration > Web Services Preferences).
5. Click on the Create a new NetSuite Connection button. You will be asked if you have completed the prerequisites, which you will have at this point. Click Continue.
6. You'll be directed to the NetSuite SSO page. Enter the email from step #4 and NetSuite password for that account.
7. You'll be directed to the below page in NetSuite. Click on View all roles and make sure that you are signed in under the Administrator role. Once you have confirmed this, click Sign out.
8. You'll be redirected back to Expensify, where you will setup the sync options using the previous settings that you noted in step 1; then save the connection.
If you run into any issues with the above, here are some additional troubleshooting steps:
- In NetSuite, go into the role of the current connection "owner"
- Click Edit > Access > Select any role other than Administrator > Save
- Click Edit > Access > Select Administrator role > Save
- Then go back and repeat steps #1-8 above.
Change the Default Payable Account for Reimbursable Expenses
NetSuite is set up with a default payable account that will be credited each time reimbursable expenses are exported as Expense Reports to NetSuite (as supervisor and accounting approved). In some cases you may want to change this to credit a different account.
To do this:
Navigate to Setup > Accounting > Accounting Preferences in NetSuite
Click Time & Expenses tab
Under Expenses section, there is a field for Default Payable Account for Expense Reports, choose the preferred account.
While we do support multi-currency with NetSuite, there are a few limitations.
The currency of the vendor record/employee record needs to match the currency on the subsidiary selected in your configuration in Expensify.
When expenses are created in one currency, and converted to another currency in Expensify before export, we do have the option to send over both original and output currencies for expense reports. This feature, called Export foreign currency amount, is found in the Advanced tab of your configuration.
If you export the foreign currency, we send over only the amount. The actual conversion is done in NetSuite.
During the bill payment sync, the bank account currency must match the subsidiary currency or you will receive an Invalid Account error.
When using a non-US version of NetSuite that requires tax tracking, we import tax groups (not tax codes) directly from NetSuite to apply to your expenses in Expensify.
For some locations, NetSuite has a default list of tax groups available but you can add your own and we will import those as well. DO NOT inactive the NetSuite defaults as we use specific ones to export certain types of expenses.
For instance the Canadian default tax group CA-Zero is used when we export mileage and per diem expenses that don't have tax applied to them within Expensify. Not having this group active in NetSuite will cause export errors.
Some tax nexuses in NetSuite also have a couple of settings that have to be set to work correctly with the Expensify integration.
The field Tax Code Lists Include needs to be set to either Tax Groups or Tax Groups and Tax Codes.
The Tax Rounding Method field needs to be set to Round Off. While this won't cause errors with the connection, it can cause a difference in the amounts exported to NetSuite.
For more information on our tax tracking feature click here.
If your tax groups are importing into Expensify but not exporting back to NetSuite, make sure the each tax group has the correct subsidiaries enabled.
Exporting Negative Expenses
You can export negative expenses to NetSuite successfully as long as the total of the report itself is positive. Expense Reports, Vendor Bills, and Journal Entries all require a positive report total in order to export.
Company Card Expenses Exporting to the Wrong Account
There are a couple of factors that might cause your company card transactions to export to the wrong place in your accounting system. The first thing you'll want to do is make sure that the cards have been mapped to the correct accounts through domain control. Once that's been confirmed, double check the following:
Have the expenses in question been imported from a Company Card?
Only expenses that have the Card/Lock icon next to them can use the export mapping settings that you configure through Domain Control.
Expenses that have been imported from a card linked at the individual account level, expenses created from a SmartScanned receipt, and manually created cash expenses will export to the default account selected in your connection's configuration settings.
If the expenses that you are trying to export are SmartScanned receipt expenses that should have been merged with an imported Company Card expense, you can take some troubleshooting steps to determine why these expenses did not merge together automatically.
Is the report exporter a Domain Admin?
The user exporting the report must be a Domain Admin. You can check the Report History & Comments section near the bottom of an individual report to see who exported it.
If your reports are being exported automatically by Concierge, the user listed as the Preferred Exporter under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Connections > Configure must be a domain admin as well.
If the report exporter is not a domain admin, all company card expenses will export to the default account selected in the Non-Reimbursable section of your Export configuration settings under Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Connections > Configure.
Has the card been mapped under the correct policy?
If you have multiple policies connected to the same accounting system, there will be a separate list of accounts displayed for each policy. Unless you choose an account listed under the same policy as the report you are exporting, expenses will export to the default account.
Reports Exporting as 'Accounting Approved' Instead of 'Paid in Full'
This can occur for two reasons:
Cause: This error occurs when locations, classes, or departments are required in your accounting classifications but on the preferred bill payment form but are not marked as 'Show'.
Solution: In NetSuite, please go to Customization > Forms > Transaction Forms and find your Preferred (checkmark) Bill Payment form. Please Edit or Customize this form and under the Screen Fields > Main tab check 'show' near the department, class, and location options.
Cause: This can also be caused if the incorrect settings are applied in the policy configurations in Expensify.
Solution: Ensure that the Expensify policy configuration settings for NetSuite are:
- Config > Advanced > Sync Reimbursed Reports enabled and payment account chosen
- Config > Advanced > Journal Entry Approval Level = Approved for Posting
- Config > Advanced > A/P Approval Account - Must match the current account being used for bill payment.
To make sure the A/P Approval Account matches the account in NetSuite, go into your bill/expense report that is causing the error and click ‘Make Payment’
This account needs to match the account selected in your Expensify configuration.
Please make sure that this is also the account selected on the expense report by looking at the expense report list:
Reports Exporing as 'Pending Approval'
Reports exporting as Pending Approval rather than Approved for posting: Change approval preferences in NetSuite
Journal Entries/Vendor Bills
- In NetSuite, navigate to Setup > Accounting > Accounting Preferences
- On the "General" tab, uncheck "Require Approvals on Journal Entries" and
- On the "Approval Routing" tab, uncheck Journal Entries/Vendor Bills to remove the requirement for approval for Journal Entries created in NetSuite. Please note that this will apply to all Journal Entries created, not just those that are created by Expensify.
- In NetSuite, navigate to Setup > Company > Enable Features
- On the "Employee" tab, uncheck "Approval Routing" to remove the requirement for approval for Expense Reports created in NetSuite. Note that this selection will apply to purchase orders as well.
Not Pulling in All Customers
If only part of your customers list is importing from NetSuite to Expensify you'll need to make sure your page size is set to 1000 for importing your customers and vendors. Go to Setup > Integration > Web Services Preferences > 'Search Page Size'
Not Pulling in Categories
If you're having trouble importing your Categories, first make sure that they are setup in NetSuite as actual Expense Categories, not just General Ledger accounts.
- Logged into NetSuite as as administrator, go to Setup > Accounting > Expense Categories. A list of Expense Categories should be available.
- If no Expense Categories are visible click on "New" to create new Expense Categories.
If you have confirmed that your categories are setup as Expense Categories in NetSuite and they still aren't importing to Expensify, make sure that the subsidiary of the Expense Category matches the subsidiary selected in your connection settings:
Why Can't I Export Without a Category Selected?
When connecting to NetSuite, the chart of accounts is pulled in to be used as categories on expense. Each expense is required to have a category selected within Expensify in order to export.
Each category also has to be imported in from NetSuite, and cannot be manually created in the policy settings of Expensify.
Where Can I Find My Expenses?
Expenses will export based on the configurations selected in your policy settings. The configurations can be viewed by following Settings > Policies > Group > [Policy name] > Connections > Configure > Export page.
Check out our Export Options page to learn more about how your expenses can be sent to NetSuite!
Downloading NetSuite logs to assist with troubleshooting
Connection and export issues that cannot be resolved using our error guides may require additional information which can be contained in the NetSuite logs of each connection and export attempt.
To download the logs:
1. Search for Web Services Usage Log in NetSuite's global search
2. Set the filters for the date and time range of when the connection or export occurred
3. Set the filters for Document type, Action and/or Integration
For connecting your subsidiary to Expensify select Action = ssoLogin
For exported reports select Record Type = expenseReport/vendorBill/journalEntry and Action = Add
4. When you locate the action, scroll to the right of the screen and to the Request and Response columns. Click the View link under each which will download a log file which you can share with our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Still looking for answers? Search our Community for more content on this topic!