Expensify's direct integration with Greenhouse allows you to automatically send candidates from Greenhouse to Expensify for easy reimbursement of out of pocket expenses.
Important notes before you start
- You'll need to be a Policy Admin in Expensify and an Admin in Greenhouse with Developer Permissions to complete this connection. This can be the same person or two different people.
- We highly recommend that you create a separate Expensify policy for candidates so that you can set up a separate workflow and a different set of Categories and Tags from what your employees would see.
- Each candidate record in Greenhouse that you'd like to send to Expensify must have an email address since we use this as the unique identifier in Expensify.
- To learn how to get your candidates started in Expensify, please click here.
How to connect with Greenhouse
Connecting with Greenhouse is easy! Just follow the below steps to link your accounts!
- Log into Expensify as a Policy admin and navigate to Settings > Policies > Group > [Candidate Policy Name] > Connections > Greenhouse. Choose Connect to Greenhouse and click Sync with Greenhouse.
2. A new page will open. Follow the instructions on this page, using the endpoint url and secret key shown here, to finish connecting with Greenhouse.
3. Create the Web hook - Click the link under Step 1 on the Expensify integration instructions page, or log into your Greenhouse account and navigate to Configure > Dev Center > Web Hooks > Web Hooks.
4. You'll land on a page called Create a New Web Hook.
- Name your web hook (we suggest Expensify Integration)
- Choose Candidate or Prospect updated in the When dropdown
- Input the Endpoint URL and Secret Key shown on the Expensify instructions page
- Optionally enter an error recipient email
- Click Create Web hook
5. Create the custom candidate field - Click the link under Step 2 on the Expensify integration instructions page, or log into your Greenhouse account and navigate to Configure > Custom Options > Custom Company Fields > Candidates.
6. Click Add Field at the top of the page
- Name the field Invite to Expensify (this name is required, although capitalization doesn't matter)
- Select type Yes/No
- Click Save
That's it! Your Greenhouse account and Expensify account can now talk to each other.
Using the Integration
- Log into Greenhouse and go to any candidate’s Details tab.
- Make sure the Email field is filled in. Optionally , select the Recruiter field.
- To send this candidate to Expensify, toggle the Invite to Expensify field to Yes and click Save.
- Navigate to Settings > Polices > Group > [Candidate Policy Name] > People.
- The candidate you just sent to Expensify will be listed here.
- If the Recruiter field was filled in in Greenhouse, the candidate will already be configured to submit reports to that recruiter for approval. Note: if you'd prefer to have the Recruiting Coordinator listed as the default approver, please reach out to email@example.com and request that we change the default approver on your behalf.
4. The Candidate will be guided through how to set up their Expensify account and submit their receipts for reimbursement. You’re work here is done!
5. Recruiters can approve reports from the Expensify website or straight from the Expensify mobile app.
I don't see the Dev Center in Greenhouse
This meant that you don't have developer permissions in Greenhouse. To enable:
- Ask a Site Admin with Advanced permissions to log into Greenhouse
- Have them select Configure > Users > Your Name
- At the bottom of the page, under Developer permissions, select Can manage and configure web hooks
Everything seems to be configured correctly, but candidates are not showing up in Expensify
This can happen for a number of reasons. Please check the following things below:
- Confirm that the connection was completed. In Expensify, go to Settings > Policies > Group > [Candidate Policy Name] > Connections and make sure that it says Connected to Greenhouse under the Greenhouse integration.
- Ensure the web hook is configured correctly. In Greenhouse, go to Configure > Dev Center > Web Hooks > Web Hooks, click the pencil next to Expensify Integration, and ensure that you have chosen Candidate or Prospect updated from the When dropdown.
- Ensure the custom candidate field is configured correctly. In Greenhouse, go to Configure > Custom Options > Custom Company Fields > Candidates. Confirm that the Immutable Field Key is "invite_to_expensify". If not, you'll need to create a new custom field named "Invite to Expensify".
- In Greenhouse, go to Configure > Dev Center > Web Hooks > Web Hook Log. If you don't see a record of the last time you edited a candidate's profile, Greenhouse web hooks may just be delayed. Contact Greenhouse support for more info.
- The candidate must have an email address in their Greenhouse profile. On the candidate's profile who you are trying to send to Expensify, go to the Details tab and confirm that an email address is entered.