This article covers:
- What are report fields?
- Important notes
- How to set up report fields for your policy
- How report fields will display on a report
- Selecting report fields on the mobile app
- Troubleshooting and FAQ
What are Report Fields?
Report fields allow you to define information at the report header level (as opposed to tags, which define expenses at the line-item level). Such information can include a specific project, business trip, location, etc. These are completely customizable based on your policy's needs.
- If you are directly integrating with an accounting system for a company Policy, check out the article on your specific package (QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Desktop, Intacct, Xero or NetSuite) as you will want to create these fields within that system then sync over to Expensify. You will not be able to create them within Expensify because they would then not align with your accounting system.
- You must be a Policy Admin in order to create report fields for a Company policy. (Report fields can be configured for reports on your Personal policy the Settings > > Policies > Personal Policy > Reports page).
- As long as you have report fields set up for a policy, they will be required pieces of information for that report. If a report field is not filled in or selected, this will flag a report violation and may prevent report submission or export.
How to set up report fields for your policy
1. Let's set up an example where we want all reports on a policy to indicate a Customer, a Location, and a Date. To go to this section of the policy editor, go to Settings > Policies > Policy Name > Reports and scroll down to Report Fields:
2. Enter the name of the report field that will display to indicate the type of information to be chosen.
3. Decide if you want the input method to be free text, a dropdown box of choices, or a date. An example of each is pictured below that will show you how this will look when a user is filling out the report.
- Text: users will have a free text box to write in the requested information. Choose an "initial value" which will be the first pre-filled report field on that users' report. Note that if the user changes this value, the text they input will be "sticky" and then apply to the next report, rather than it falling back to the initial value.
- Dropdown: This will create a set of options for the user to select from. You can use the button to the left of each option you create to change whether it's visible to the report creator. Select an "Initial Value" that will be pre-selected upon their first report. Tip: if there is not always going to be a location applicable to a report, you can add an "N/A" option for the user to select.
- Date: This option will display a box that, when clicked, will pull up a calendar for the user to select a date. The "initial value" will always be today's date.
How will report fields display on a report?
This example setup would produce the following three fields on a report for a user.
Upon opening a report, this would be the pre-populated information displayed based on the initial values we chose during setup. The customer can be edited freely by text, the location displays a dropdown list when clicked, and the event date field will use a calendar when clicked.
NOTE: Report fields are sticky meaning, if these values are changed by an employee, the change will stick and be reflected upon the next report that's created.
Selecting Report Fields on the Mobile App:
To select a report field when working on a report in the mobile app,
- Tap into the report
- Tap Edit in the top-right corner
- Fill in the report field and tap Done
Troubleshooting and FAQ:
Why do I sometimes see a red "x" next to my report field(s)?When a report has been created on a Policy without/with different Report Fields, those fields will remain on the report if the reports policy is updated (which can be done via the Policy: dropdown selector in the top-right-hand corner of every report). The red "x" will show to dismiss these fields:
For a live overview of the Policy Admin role, policy management and administration, register for our free Admin Onboarding Webinar!
Still looking for answers? Search our Community for more content on this topic!