Why import a CSV/OFX file of bank transactions?
You may want to use this option if:
- You have already imported your bank/credit card, but you need earlier transactions beyond the default 30-90 days (this varies depending on your bank)
- Your bank is not supported through a direct connection with Expensify, but you still need to get your transactions into the system. The best way to find if your bank is supported is to try importing it using these directions. If the bank is not listed, we do not support it at this time
- You would like a way to do either of the above, and to have the transactions merge with your SmartScanned/emailed receipts
How to import expenses from a spreadsheet or OFX file
You can import ANY bank into Expensify using a spreadsheet or OFX file! To do that just follow these few steps below. (Not available through our domain control feature.)
Step 1: Download CSV
- Download an OFX file or a CSV/XLS spreadsheet of your expenses directly from your online banking account.
- Once you have this file, log into Expensify and click Settings > Your Account > Credit Card Import
- Click Import Transactions from File
- On the next screen, select "Upload".
Step 2: Set the Account Details
- Define the details of this upload so you can easily identify its contents. Set the date format and currency to match your needs. If you have previously imported a spreadsheet, choose your preset mapping and everything will be filled in.
- Scroll down and pick which columns have the merchant, date and amount in them. These are the 3 required presets that must be assigned prior to uploading. Additionally, you can also map the category and tag when uploading your CSV spreadsheet.
- Check the preview of your selection below and when it looks good, click ‘Add Expenses’.
4. When the upload finishes, click ‘Add Expense’ to close the dialog and view your expenses. You should then see these all import into your Expenses list.
Managing your spreadsheet imports
Any CSV files will appear as so in your Settings > Your Account > Credit Card Import:
- Here, you can rename the account as well as decide whether these transactions should be reimbursable or non-reimbursable by default.
- If you need to remove an imported spreadsheet, you can select the red trash can icon. Please remember this will remove all unreported and un-submitted transactions from your account that are tied to this import, so be careful!
Troubleshooting and FAQ:
I'm not able to see the transactions I have imported when I click "View expenses". Why?
If you aren't able to see the expenses, try using the filters at the top of the Expenses screen to open up search criteria (such as the date) which often reveals "missing" expenses.
Why didn't my spreadsheet transactions merge with the SmartScanned receipts or receipts that I emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org?
Our merge troubleshooting guide should help resolve this!
- You're ready to SmartScan your receipts so that they merge with imported card/bank transactions
- Set up Scheduled Submit so that reports are created and/or submitted for you by Concierge!