There are many ways to use Expensify but before we get into the details, you'll need to choose between a free account or a paid account:
When you first create an account, we automatically put you on a free trial of an Individual Monthly Subscription so that you can experience all of Expensify's features. At any time, you can always switch to the free version of Expensify.
If you decide to continue with Expensify's paid features, your monthly bill ultimately depends on your plan, policy type and your selected billing option.
This article covers:
Your Expensify policy is where you create expense rules, define approval workflows, manage integrations, configure reimbursements, and more.
If you’re tracking personal expenses, you can use limited free features without a policy. For additional functionality, Expensify offers two types of paid policies:
You can always tell whether your Individual policy is configured for Submit or Track based on the Paper Plane icon (Submit) or the Piggy Bank icon (Track).
- The Individual Policy is completely free to use, however, if you'd like to use it with access to Unlimited SmartScans, you'll need an Individual Monthly Subscription which can be activated from the Settings > Policies > Individual page:
You can always change the Individual Policy Type from the Settings > Policies > [Individual Policy Name] > Plan options.
Unlike the Individual tab, within the Group policies tab, you can have multiple policies based on their Plan. Either Collect or Control.
Note: if you set up an Annual subscription with two different Group Plans (i.e. you've created both a Collect and a Control policy), both policies are billed as Control policies. If you want to utilize two different Group plans billed at different rates, each policy must be owned by a separate Billing Owner who will maintain their own separate subscription.
You can always tell whether your Group policy is configured for Collect or Control based on the Mailbox icon (Collect) or the Shield icon (Control).
- A Collect policy is ideal for small groups who only need basic features such as expense approvals, reimbursement, and integration options. Collect policies are $5/active user on the Annual Subscription, or $10/active user on the "pay as you go", Pay-per-use option. (Billing also available in GBP, AUD and NZD)
- A Control policy is the most popular option. For a much deeper level of control and policy configurations, a Control policy offers multi-stage approval workflows, corporate card management, integrations, and more. Control policies are $9/active user on the Annual Subscription, or $18/active user on the "pay as you go", Pay-per-use option. (Billing also available in GBP, AUD and NZD)
All subscriptions are managed from the Settings > Policies > Group page under the Subscriptions dropdown.
Remember, the subscription is relevant to policies for which you are the Policy Billing Owner!
You can always change the Group Policy Type from the Settings > Policies > [Group Policy Name] > Plan options.
Choosing the policy that’s right for you will depend on your teams’ needs. Go ahead and check out our features breakdown if you’re not sure which policy is right for you.
We offer two billing options -- Annual Subscription and Pay-per-use Billing. Both options are billed monthly and use the concept of an “active user”.
We define any report action as activity. So within a given month, if a user's account has taken actions on a report, they’re considered an active user. For example, editing, submitting, rejecting, deleting, approving, commenting on, exporting or reimbursing a report will all count towards activity for the month.
Note: Report actions include those taken by delegated actors such as a Copilot or Concierge automation.
If needed, you can create multiple policies without any additional cost. You'll still be charged based on the number of active users across your policies.
Billing Options and Pricing
Expensify offers two billing options so you can choose how your team’s activity gets charged:
- Annual Subscription: You commit to a subscription size that allows for activity up to your set number of active users. Learn more
- Control Subscription policies are billed at $9/active user and Collect at $5/active user. (Billing also available in GBP, AUD and NZD)
- Pay-per-use Billing: Month-to-month billing with no annual commitment -- you’re billed based on the number of active users across your policies. Control Pay-per-use policies are billed at $18/active user and Collect at $10/active user. (Billing also available in GBP, AUD and NZD)
With Annual Subscriptions, any user activity outside of your subscription size will be billed at the Pay-per-use rate ($18/user for Control plans and $10/user for Collect plans).
To prevent being billed for users who fall outside of your subscription size at the Pay-per-use rate, you'll want to enable Auto-Increase Subscription size under Settings > Policies > Group > Subscriptions:
With that enabled, your annual subscription is automatically increased and extended to accommodate for active users who exceed your subscription size.
Expensify is free if you don't need a Group policy to track your expenses. If you want to access additional functionality, upgrade to a Group paid account.
For a live overview of the Policy Admin role, policy management and administration, register for our free Admin Onboarding Webinar!
Still looking for answers? Search our Community for more content on this topic!